Sunday 14 September 2014

Can you visit us on Sunday?

From the left, Mele, Tima, Varane and Ateca, my delightful Sunday hosts
That was the question Ateca (pronounced Atetha) asked me when she called into the Education by Extension office on Friday afternoon. On Fridays she comes over to Pacific Theological College to pick up some in-service skills as a trainee librarian, but for the rest of the week she's working in the Methodist Theological College's library at Davuilevu, about an hour from Suva on the local bus.


'You should come to our service!' she beamed. 'I don't mean the one for the Ministers, the one for us in the Young People's Department (YPD). Please - come!' So I did.

Ateca has a certificate in Christian Education; the fruit of three years study on campus at the Methodist Church in Fiji's YPD. Since graduating, she's done all sorts of children's and youth work, and is clearly thinking hard about God's purposes for her life in the future. She originates from Sigatoka in the West, an area popular with tourists, and her bubbly personality and excellent communication skills have come 
into their own when she's been called on to introduce foreign visitors to village life and the local Methodist Church as part of their day trips. She shares a flat on campus with Mele who teaches in the campus pre-school and Varane who's just started her pre-school teacher training. Tima, also pictured at the top, works as an administrator for YPD during the week, but on Sunday was kindly the chef, producing a mouthwatering lunch which included miti ika lolo, fish with coconut milk, and tavioka, cassava. The feast was served and consumed in the gap between a 10.00am service and a 4.00pm one, with a visit to the Sunday School and a walk around the campus also featuring. Oh, and writing an on-the-spot sermon to preach at the 4.00pm. Did I mention that? 


The minister originally scheduled for the day had been called to another appointment. Mr Sanaila Yabakivou stepped in for the 10.00am - he's a Methodist Church in Fiji Catechist - and then suggested I took over at the 4.00pm. I felt honoured but appealed, humbly and politely. 'But forgive me, I haven't come prepared and it's such a significant week for Fiji (elections on Wednesday 17th) wouldn't a preacher who's local be so much better equipped to give the sermon today than someone as new as me?' 'Yes, but you will preach. I was also not supposed to lead worship today'. And so we helped each other out. As you do. 


My eyes and ears, fresh to Fijian Methodist Church life, found worship in the YPD formal, reverential, orderly and traditional. The choir, all in their twenties, practises for an hour before each service and on Tuesday evenings during the week. And it's hymns from a hymn book sung to 'familiar' Methodist tunes, so no problem for me with melodies, but a few tongue twisters in the lyrics. At the 4.00pm, Ateca kindly led the service - the first time she'd done so in English; her friend read the Gospel beautifully - also in English - and I did the preaching. YPD Sunday worship is normally conducted in Fijian, and why not indeed? My presence messed it up. But the experience raised for me yet again that sensitive and tricky issue about the vital value, actually, of emerging leaders in churches across the world being able to find and use their voices in English too, whenever possible. To be able to address public gatherings with competence and confidence is a mighty skill and affords you a place on the global stage, representing and advocating on behalf of your local context and community. And your Church, potentially. As my brain whirred on some of this during the choir's piece, the example of Malala Yousafzai as an inspirational young communicator on a global platform popped into my head. You get my drift?

After worship, back in the flat, on a mat, I threw out a few questions to the young women who'd been so hospitable and welcoming to me during the day. Why was it important for them to follow Jesus, profess the Christian faith, spend so much time in Church? I talked about the UK scene a little. 'Your peer group in the UK - many of them - don't show much interest in these things. What message do you have for them?' Responses included:

My mother and father schooled me in the faith and I think it's true. I want to follow what they say. 


We follow Jesus in this life because we're preparing for our journey back to him.


If young people reject Jesus Christ, they're going to hell - there's no eternal life for them. 


Jesus never stops knocking on our door - it's never too late.



Also of interest, inevitably, were issues of singleness, marriage, children and what choices may - or may not - be on offer to young women in the Methodist Church in Fiji. What might God require? Conformity? Nonconformity? New pathways combining the two? It had been reported with astonishment that the new Reverend from Britain was aged 53 (though she looks young) and she's never been married!  Being 'Exhibit A' in a new mission appointment is, I think, just part of the deal...

It was a super Sunday, and I'm grateful for the kindness of those who are now no longer strangers.


No shortage of inspirational texts posted by the flatmates 


After lunch is rest time apparently - unless there's a sermon to write...
A Sunday School song or two...
Catechist Mr Sanaila Yabakivou and I discuss the day's arrangements...
Quietly preparing for worship





 Ateca and I lead. Her favourite Bible verse is Jeremiah 29.11



For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.










1 comment:

  1. Dearest Esteems,

    We are Offering best Global Financial Service rendered to the general public with maximum satisfaction,maximum risk free. Do not miss this opportunity. Join the most trusted financial institution and secure a legitimate financial empowerment to add meaning to your life/business.

    Contact Dr. James Eric Firm via
    Email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com
    Best Regards,
    Dr. James Eric.
    Executive Investment
    Consultant./Mediator/Facilitator

    ReplyDelete