Saturday 7 March 2015

50 years of the Pacific Theological College

Friday 6th March: a day bursting at the seams with pomp, ceremony and celebration for our 50th Annniversary. Where were you? 

Never mind, I've saved you a programme. I know it looks a bit dense on the blog, but a read through offers the best overview of an extraordinary day which kicked off at 8.00am and ended at midnight, though many hadn't slept the night before because of the pressure of final preparations.

















There was a fair bit of media coverage too. Here's the Fiji Times article




and click here for the FBC 6pm News which features us briefly, 13 mins in. 

I'm going to give myself a few days before posting any kind of considered reflection on the whole event. There's much to process. 

My role on the actual day, was to be the Methodist Church in Britain's official representative, at the request of the Connexion, via our World Church Relationships team. This was a humbing and lovely task of course, but at the same time it felt a little strange to be dual-purpose for the day: garlanded, seated apart and served differently from my PTC colleagues. The multi-tasking called for a bit of liturgical drapery I felt. At least for the formalities of the Eucharist. Unusual for me, being a collar but not a vestments type. But hey, maybe sometimes a stole can make a suitable ecumenical statement.  











No comments:

Post a Comment