Wednesday 8 April 2015

Holy Week in Sydney

It was a bit of a last minute decision, but such a good one. 

Having waved palms with Wesley City Mission here - see previous blog - I flew Suva to Sydney for one week, Monday to Monday, and spent a memorable time walking the way of the cross and the pathways of the city. What a totally stunning urban landscape! I've always wanted to go and it's a bit easier from Fiji...

At various times during seven holy, happy days, I touched base with St Stephen's Uniting Church, Pitt Street Uniting Church, St Mary's RC Cathedral, Wesley Central Mission and the Uniting Theological College. But most often I would find myself drawn to Christchurch St Laurence in Railway Square, diagonally opposite my hotel, three minutes exactly from room to pew. 

Ten days before, I didn't know this Church existed, nor that it offered, excellently and exquisitely, in the Anglo-Catholic tradition, a full and rich pilgrimage through Holy Week. I didn't know either that the thoughtful and human preacher for the week would be the Revd Prebendary Nick Mercer of St Paul's Cathedral London, who started his theological journey initially at Spurgeon's College, my home before Fiji. His Holy Week sermons ensured that Word as well as Sacrament was very present to feed mind and soul. The video below is a snapshot of St Laurence's 2014 Holy Week. I hope I can blog the equivalent for 2015 in due course.





It would be impossible to reflect the week fully, but some thoughts and images in posts to follow offer a flavour. It was my first visit away from Suva since arriving last August. As a rest-retreat with a healthy balance of stimulation and reflection, it was a winner. I'm truly thankful.



Watching and following Jesus as he carries his cross through Sydney's high glitz shopping and business district on Good Friday - the moving drama and procession c/o Wesley Central Mission




Watching and smiling as vapour trail Easter theology is written in 
the skies over Darling Harbour on Easter Day. 



Christ is risen. He is risen indeed!





No comments:

Post a Comment