Monday 5 February 2018

No Longer Babes


Six very special young people made their Confirmation promises yesterday at Dudley Methodist Church Toorak, and this is just a short post to honour them. They've had varied life journeys so far: some would know the Dudley Circuit well and have been part of a conventional Sunday School upbringing. Others have attached themselves to Nanuku settlement Church in Vatuwaqa for random reasons, and found some sense of belonging and faith focus there. 

I haven't asked the group for permission to share their testimonies in detail, but the ones they shared openly at the service included... 

...memories of serious childhood illness and being told by a doctor that being able to walk was unlikely; 
...the death of both parents and living apart from a much loved and missed sister
...dealing with parental separation which remains fractious and divisive
...truancy, rebellion and some generally grim school experiences

It's clear that life has been full for many reasons, but not necessarily with the same quality of 'fullness' that Jesus promises. But there was more.

...I want to thank God for his protection on my life; I go to and from school and he's with me; he helps me face challenges; he protects my family
...God has been with me all these years and now I know I want to follow Jesus into the future and that's why I want to be confirmed today
...I know my mother had many challenges; my father left when I was a baby but God gave me a new father who has always helped me, and a Father in heaven too
...No one is forcing us to be confirmed today

and said together as an action piece:

We love God. We choose to follow Jesus. We ask for the Holy Spirit. WE ARE READY!

So here are one or two pictures of a significant day. Keep these disciples in your thoughts and prayers please. Thanks.




Testimonies and commitments

With Talatala Qase Revd Dr Immanuel Reuben, Indian Divisional Superintendent


Phew - done! Only by grace....


God may be calling newly confirmed Etika to drum ministry....



Praise God for post-Confirmation lunch....





...followed by suitable silliness and ice creams at the local shopping centre...

It was wonderful too that the Confirmation segment of the service was just one part of a larger celebration: the launching of a much awaited new hymn book in Fijian-Hindi. This contains carefully reworked English transliterations alongside authentic Hindi script to enable the diverse Indian Division congregations to sing together much more harmoniously. Here's a sample! And maybe I'll blog more about this interesting hymn collection on another occasion, when we've got our vocal cords around it. In the meantime, click on this sample and singalong!

No comments:

Post a Comment